Micro computed tomography (micro-CT) is X-ray imaging in 3D. The SkyScan 1276 is a high-performance standalone in vivo micro-CT system that gives researchers flexible options for scanning preclinical models and biological samples. Non-destructive handling allows for longitudinal studies of the same sample.
The platform enables both round and spiral (helical) scanning and reconstruction, and low dose imaging for longitudinal studies.
Continuously variable magnification allows users to scan samples with high spatial resolution down to 2.8 μm pixel size.
Variable X-ray energy combined with a range of filters ensures optimal image quality for diverse research applications, including lung tissue and bone.
Bruker Skyscan 1276 Micro-CT platform with:
- 14-bit cooled digital X-ray CCD camera with fibre-optic coupling to scintillator
- 20-100 kV micro-focus X-ray source
- 6-positions automatic filter changer for energy selection
- Integrated physiological monitoring
- High end computer workstation and InstaRecon® reconstruction software
Technological specifications (capabilities)
- X-ray source: continuous variable peak energy from 20 till 100kV, < 5 micron spot size at 4 watt; 20W maximum power, air cooled sealed type
- X-ray detector: 11 Megapixel (4032 x 2688) 14-bit cooled digital X-ray CCD camera with 2x2, 4x4, 8x8 binning modes
- 6-positions automatic filter changer for energy selection: no filter, Al 0.5mm, Al 1mm, Al 0.5mm + Cu 0.03mm, Cu 0.1mm and “low-dose” filter (beam shaper)
- Image pixel size can be continuously adjusted from 2.8 μm till 10μm (full camera format) or up to 80μm (8x8 binning)
- Integrated physiological monitoring (breathing, movement detection, ECG) and real-time motion detection (5 MP colour camera)
- Variable magnification with smallest pixel size of 2.8 micron, 5-6 micron details resolved with more than 10% contrast
- Spiral scan using endless gantry rotation
- Step-and-shoot and continuous gantry rotation with shortest scanning cycle of 3.9 sec
- GPU-accelerated and world's fastest InstaRecon® 3D reconstructions
- Integrated physiological monitoring (breathing, movement detection, ECG) for gating and time-resolved 4D micro-tomography
- Software for 2D/3D image analysis, bone morphology and realistic visualisation
- Resolution is around 6 microns
- This is not a multi-modality platform
- Applications requiring lower doses of radiation will have reduced resolution
- Contrast agents may be required if sample has low X-ray absorption